Backups are an essential part of any business. They’re what keep you going in the event of cyber attacks, human error, hardware or software failure or natural disaster.
But what’s the best way to do it? Why, it’s as simple as 3-2-1.
How do you back-up? It’s as simple as “3-2-1”
Here’s the trick to good backups, for both work and personal data:
- 3 copies of your data
- 2 different storage formats
- 1 copy stored offsite
By keeping three copies – the original and two backups – you minimise the risk of losing your files. If one file is compromised, there’s still one backup in place.
By keeping it in two different formats, you reduce the risk presented by hardware/software failure. The same failure is less likely to affect two different storage formats. The formats could be, for example:
- your device hard drive
- an external hard drive
- a CD/DVD
- a backup tape
- online cloud storage.
By keeping one copy offsite you help ensure that your backups aren’t compromised by the same event – such as fire, flood or theft.
Follow this approach with regular backups, and you can be as confident as possible that your data is safe.
Offsite backup for your personal files
We’re big proponents of cloud for offsite backup. It’s easy and highly-accessible. There are lots of options available for personal use – some free, up to a certain size. You can back up individual files or folders to online storage services such as Google Drive, OneDrive, Box or DropBox. Or if you want to back up your entire system, try Crashplan or Backblaze.
If you have an iOS device, make sure you activate automatic backups.
Offsite backup for your work files
We offer two cloud backup services.
- CloudBackup: back up your business data offsite to our secure cloud data centres.
- TotalDR: get your entire IT system back up and running if something goes wrong.
And why would you choose our cloud services? Well:
- They’re New Zealand-hosted: you don’t run into any issues of data sovereignty, and you’re not dependent on (potentially vulnerable) overseas internet connections. Much safer and easier than going with an offshore host.
- You get fast performance: we ensure you get the best possible performance for your investment.
- They’re designed to fit your needs: we don’t just give you a one-size-fits-all solution: we adapt and tailor our backup solutions to work for you. We get you set up, and there are no hidden costs.
- They’re resilient and reliable: if something goes wrong with one part of the system, another steps in to ensure your backups do what they’re supposed to do.
- They’re priced competitively: plus you’ll get great value for money.